Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Do what now?

OK It has been a long day. I started this morning at 6:30 Central time in Corsica, SD. I am finally at home at 9:43 PM Central after having driven 4 hours, changed time zones, and then driven another 2 hours. I am here. I was listening to the radio on the way home and they have this thing: Dateless in Dallas. Some girl who doesn't have a date get on the phone and potential prospects call in and she tells the station to "click 'em" if she doesn't like them... ok.... So they are talking he is 21 and she askes,"What would our first date be like?" and in full tex-ass drawl he said, "Do what now?" That would have been a click for me, but he told her they could go to the applebees and a movie once he got the question straight. She decided to take the date... shudder... I can't believe that people say that! It's like out of a comic book story of Ranger Rick or someone.
Anyways, it frightened me a little.

So today my traveling companions on the plane couldn't be more different and yet they were both interesting. The first lady I sat next to was very nice. When I told her Ada was in Iraq, she told me that her husband had died last April and when he had been in the service he had served in the Korean war, and then he got out. We commiserated about how lonely it is even when you stay really busy. She is the first really sympathetic and understanding civilian I have met in a long time. She knew exactly what I was going through. I am very grateful I don't fully understand what she is going through. She was talking about how you had someone you whole life, and now she is thinking about trying to date again just to be less lonely if nothing else, and how difficult it is.

The second plane I sat next the the CSU Men's Basketball team and their coaches. Basketball players are a lot like puppies, they are long and gangley. As soon as the plane took off it was like someone had slipped them sleeping gas, they crashed, and they were flopping all over the place. You know how when someone is trying to sit up and sleep and keep from falling? Well it was a lot of that. I tried really hard not to laugh, but it was so funny. The guy I sat next to was very nice, from Georgia, he had gone to school a little in Wyoming so we were able to make small talk before I realized I knew absolutely nothing about basketball. I told him, I don't play ball sports lol. Oh well.

So I went to best buy and reveled in guilty pleasures, I bought all the seasons of ghost hunters I did not already have. There you have it, my latest bizarre obsession.

No comments: