Sunday, March 7, 2010

Generation Me -- Recent Read

Excellent book. Makes me wonder if I have been brain washed all my life to think I am special and that I can do anything. On the flip side I wonder if the author is overly negative. The book is about how "Generation Me" i.e. people born in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, are entitled and think they are capable of anything. I am entitled and I think I am capable of anything. See?? Seee??

The author goes on to show that we are struggling to survive with two incomes most people can't afford to have children. It used to be families afforded their lifestyle on one white collar or blue collar income. Nowadays you can't afford anything without two incomes. She also talks about how we spend more time alone then any other generation. She talks about why we as a generation are so blase about politics and social movement. We were taught to be different and stand out and we don't join social groups. Anyways, while I don't always agree with her conclusions (especially that we as a whole need a reality check to bring our expectations in line with realities), I do agree sometimes we set ourselves up for failure. I highly recommend the book it was excellent.

I am working on my own self esteem to make sure I sound like I sound sure of myself. No more well I thinks, buts, I believes, just shoot from the hip. Talk slow, don't laugh too loud, take deep breaths. Actually know what you are saying. Ha very funny. I know what I am saying is good. I am just young. Oh well. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

No word from the meeper. :( Very Sad. He'd know what to say. He always does. That's why I love him. Sending my heartfelt thoughts out to other deployed couples. Hope you are getting through it okay too.

No comments: