Friday, September 19, 2008

Taco Salad is yummy -- 4 am sucks

but not as bad as I thought it would. I had to drive butthead to work today because the truck was still at the oil change place. Of course this morning he had a battalion run soooooo we got to be there at 5 am instead of 6 am. Ugh.

It wasn't that bad. I like to be able to see him in the morning even if he is a total grouch. :) Some days we are so disorganized it is like how the hell did we get this far in life? Ugh and double ugh. I saw Caitlin's blog about recipes and I have been following New Girl on Post's idea about the recipe's a little, I have just been so busy ( I know, Sid Lovely, I read about being in the moment and I totally agree, it is something I work on ALL THE TIME ;) ) I haven't had a chance. I wrote about a frustration I had the other day and hurt a good friend's feelings so I have been a little jaded about the whole intarweb lately. Eventually I will go look at the recipe site, but I know I am going to get sucked in for hours on end and so I am currently resisting. I will find some time soon.
Meanwhile I will tell you about my recent army observations, and my favorite recipe that is so dang easy and everyone always loves it.

Taco Salad
1 bag your favorite tortilla chips ( I like the tostitos scoops)
1 lb chicken/ ground beef/ ground turkey/ ground elk (venison)/ antelope steak
thyme
garlic
onion ( I like the red/ purple variety)
salsa (I like the corn and black bean kind)
shredded cheese
refried beans or black beans
bagged spinich or salad
guacamole (if you like it) or avocados
olive oil

In a pan, put olive oil / diced onion/ garlic, give it a minute then add meat and sprinkle thyme over it (or if you have the thyme leaves, add the leaves), some people add cayenne here as well but it can be over powering.

While that cooks in a large serving bowl platter whatever line with chips. Add salad and sprinkle with cheese. If you do not have picky eaters, reheat beans and pour over the top. When meat is done cooking spread evenly over salad. Put salsa and sour cream on table with spoons. If you have avocado you can spread it over the top as well and I keep some chips on hand in a bowl in case people get chip shorted. Serve and enjoy. This is really quick and easy. My Mom omits the garlic and onion/ spices and pours a jar of mild or medium salsa in with the meat as it cooks, this is great if you have lean meat (especially game meat) and you are worried about it being dry. I put extra of everything on the table as well so people can add more beans or whatever if they want. this is a messy dinner, but one of my very favorites, and so DANG easy and quick, all you really have to do is cook the meat and assemble a salad.

I have a recipe for guacamole and I can post that as well sometime.

So now observations of behavior on base that strike me as funny. When ever I see and older enlisted person, I automatically assume they are a high rank and hunt for their rank on their clothing, often they are in pts which have no rank. So I feel like saying to them,"What is your rank so I know how polite I have to be?" Yesterday we were at the mall and there was a silver hummer that had all the amenities and a vanity plate that said sgt(so and so). I thought it was a little strange, and Adam, said,"He must be some sort of packing clerk who tells people that he is in the army and a real solider," and he went on to do this halarious impression of a guy who things he is so cool because he is in the army even though all he does is serve soldiers packages, "and is only open for about 2 hours a day when everyone is at work so they can never pick up their packages" and "plays video games in the back room the other 6 hours of the day." This character has "an m-16 that they won't even give me ammo for (because I have never actually been trained to use it)." At this point I am like rolling on the floor laffing. Adam can be so dang funny. I think he should do stand up. He thinks only I think he is funny.

We did have a moment similar to this where we were trying to get some weapons registered and he got off work and we hurried over there before they close and we literally were the last ones there, and it was 4:35 and all we needed was him to look it over and give us one quick signature and the guy told us to come back tomorrow. They open at 07:30, and close at 16:30. Both of which times Adam is likely still at work. How frustrating. I couldn't believe that guy didn't help us, it was truly a crappy thing to do. Whatever. The gate people are nice. I am getting used to base. I pretty much know my way around. The only thing I can buy without Adam is food, but I do really like being able to go on base because I am allowed to now. I am part of one of the world's strangest clubs where the rules and traditions and behaviors almost always make me laugh.

3 comments:

said...

Wow girl. It does sound like a different life than what I'm used to. Thank you for sharing!

I heart Taco Salad too!

Unknown said...

Hello!

I don't know how I did it but I stumbeled on to your blog and I am so glad that I did. I read some of your entries and they made me smile. I am new to this blog thing and started it to put my thought on being an Army girlfriend down somewhere before I go insane HAHA. I have read a few other blogs but related to yours in a lot of ways. I hope we can stay in touch through this (once I figure it out).

Nikki =)

Unknown said...

you need to update!!!!