Sunday, September 7, 2008

Up Again

And he is totally out. Which is how he should be considering he HAS to be up at 5:15 am and out the door. I have gotten used to the sleeping until 8 am schedule. I just have a hard time at the other end. The going to sleep part. I have always had trouble falling asleep and some nights being next to him an just cuddling is enough. Not tonight. I disentangled myself because I DO want to make sure he gets a good nights rest. So he can be up and perky in the morning. Well perky isn't quite the word.

I think I made a new friend. I know I wish I was going to be traveling less. I think I made a friend who might want to work out in the morning with me. I could really use that right now. I feel like things might be start to come back on track for me. I hope so. Part of me is afraid to stride forward into that next chunk of being adult. I guess it is either stride or be pushed because sooner or later I am going to have to take that next step and nothing is going to stop it.

The marriage pushing has been insane lately. Our chiropractor razzed us out for like 10 minutes trying to convince me. I thought that was pretty rude and forward of her. She doesn't know us or our struggles. I think her point was that she doesn't have to. However just because you have known someone for a long time doesn't mean you should get married.

It makes me wonder about this thing of you shouldn't live with someone before you are married. It is not that I think I am living in sin more what am I gaining and losing by holding out. I have my reasons and they are mine and I wish people could respect that that. Part of me wonders if I am foolish for holding out. I don't I have to do what it right for me. Right now that is not being chased by marriage pushers.

Our life together has the potential to really change after he gets out and goes to college and we move around. I really want him to have whatever freedom he need to move forward with his life. Once we are not just waiting for the army to end and we have more freedom are we going to want different things? I just want to accommodate for that. I want to give us room or leave space to change and grow without feeling trapped and maybe it would be a non issue even if we were married. Why take that risk?

Anyways, I am done explaining myself. It's none of their business. Still I wonder if that is a healthy attitude or if that points to some unreadiness or inflexibility on my part. Even if it does, isn't that just another indicator to take some time on this?

5 comments:

said...

Girl, whether its getting married, having children or getting divorced.... EVERYONE has an opinion. Only you and Adam define your future. Don't let anyone else do it for you. Even if you were married, people would have an opinion of what your marriage should be like. Some people are just in love with the idea of marriage and it doesn't matter who the partners are.

It sounds like you are doing well. I'm happy you have someone to work out with. Get yourself out there!! :)

Kate said...

My Opinion: It is ABSOLUTELY none. of. their. business.

Why do people think that you must be married in order to have a 'real' relationship? Not rushing into it, thinking about it, and being absolutely positive that it's the right decision at the right time- that's what a good marriage is built upon, not quick and hasty decisions.

None of their business I say- they don't need to know what the thought process is, or what the reasons for waiting are.

Caitlin said...

I get the marriage thing all. the. time. It's ridiculous! The way I see it, you'll know when it's right and THAT'S when it should happen. Not when everyone else thinks it's right. If everyone did that we'd have a lot more divorces.

Glad you're doing better :)

Rebecca said...

I get this one too.
"You've dated three years and you aren't engaged!?"
People get married young in the south. Most of the girls at my school get engaged their junior year.
Like KJ said, I don't need to be married to have a real relationship.

Unknown said...

Well, I guess I'm at odds with everyone else who commented, but that's what blogs are for, right? Different opinions in a non-hostile environment?

Statistically, or so I've read, the divorce rate is higher for people who live together before they get married. However, the longer you are with someone (either dating or engaged), the divorce rate statistics go down.

Personally, I'm old fashioned. But I will never criticize you... People who hound you like that are just self-righteous, and most likely they don't care about what's really best for you, they just want everyone to do what they think everyone should do.

I once read something like, Why would you buy the cow if you're getting milk for free? I find this rather insulting, personally, but it makes some sense... Kind of, right? Lol. Maybe not.