Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bad Girlfriend?

So I go through these phases where I am convinced I am a "bad girlfriend." It's a little neurotic I must admit. I was rereading some comments I left on his blog where he was being down and I just handed it right back to him. I mean who does that? Apparently I do. Regardless of the circumstances, I will not just "get along" longer than a couple days. I can play nice for a couple days, but after that I am not able to pretend like everything is okay and nothing is wrong. Even if it is not a great time to bring up the subject, I do anyways, not caring who else is around or whatever. I am just really bad at hiding or masking my disappointment or anger. Adam likes that about me. Sometimes though, I know I will get over whatever is bothering me and tomorrow I won't even care about something I was so mad about today. So then letting something blow over is a good idea, but usually I can't just let things blow over. Usually if there is a reason I am mad, we both see it as a problem that must be fixed. So I am a bad girlfriend in the sense that sometimes I really should just let things blow over and not be so nitpicky, but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Most days Adam is such a good boyfriend. Caring and thoughtful. He worries about me when he is in a combat zone in Iraq, he worries if I seem unhappy or down. He never used to worry about anything ever. I guess he does now. I am also a bad girlfriend in the sense that when I am down, I think he should comfort me. So he does, even when he is a million miles away in a war zone. He tries really hard to find a way to comfort me. That is really a nice thing to do I have to say.

Despite all of this, all the faults, there is some good about this stuff. The silver lining is that no matter what the circumstances are I am true to who I am. This is something Adam can expect, depend on and count on. Regardless of what is going on, voicing my beliefs, and concerns is always the rock solid place that I come from. He knows that I am not being a drama queen. He knows me so we can cut to the chase when we need to talk about something, which is good considering our normal 30 Minute time limit. I don't have to work up to what I am saying.

The other good thing is right now, it doesn't take much to comfort me. I know he is trying hard to call me, know he is reading my blog and responding the best he can, and know he is doing everything in his power to keep me as informed as possible given the circumstances. So even a little note, or a comment that he found sometime to read my blog would be enough to make me feel very special. I know things would be small to other people, but really do mean the world to me.

So maybe I am a bad girlfriend I don't know, I can't tell. I do know that it just works between us, bad girlfriend or not, we seem to have a system of sorts. It gets us through.

PS If you are wondering why I have been blogging so much lately it's because I have no friends here in Texas that are nearby. Oh well, more posts for you guys.....

4 comments:

S.J. said...

I totally know what you mean about getting in that mode where you feel like you are a "bad girlfriend"...I do that as well. And I am always feeling like my boyfriend is such a "good boyfriend." It made me laugh to know that someone else has some of the same experiences as I do. So I'm right there with you

Unknown said...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have any friends in Texas either. =)

I don't think you're a bad girlfriend. I do the same thing as you, letting something get to me until I just have to say something about it. I usually do more harm than good, but if it's on my mind I just can't fake it! Then the next day or whenever I come to my senses I'm like AUUUGH I can't believe I couldn't just keep my mouth shut. I think you sound very normal. Just hang in there, k Jenna?

Jenna said...

Yeah I don't know. Adam is a firm believer in things blowing over. I am not because that makes me feel like what ever I was mad about is irrational, and I'll get over it. I like to think I was mad for a good reason, not just because I was feeling cow-y. Adam calls this grumpification.

I hate it when I feel like I am being irrational.

said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I am enjoying your blog!

And damn girl, I SO know exactly how you feel...

Isn't it nice that they try to understand when we have NO concept of what they're going through. They can't share a lot of what they're doing and what fears they have and yet, they'll listen to our sobs about something "normal" and totally listen and comfort. I love that about my Army guy.

Hang in there!