Monday, April 6, 2009

The FRG -- Backpost #1

OMG -- So a couple weeks back we went to a frg meeting on post. It was the Wednesday before we got married.

Adam warning me and prepping me for the meeting, "There will be someone our age (24) that has at least 5 kids. You have to be nice to the big cheese, DO NOT use the term butter bar, he will not think its funny."

I was like okay I am ready for anything. I was wrong. Adam and I were the only couple in the whole freaking room not married, I was a little embarressed. It seemed like most of the other wives knew each other. That was okay, I was still okay at that point. They talked about the training and the deployment and gave me a copy of Adam's schedule, which was good. At least he doesn't have to hear me complain about it, when the army gives me a schedule I know there is no way he can get out of it.

So apparently many of the women had requested to find our more about the educational programs available to them so they had a Army Educational Councilor Service Person Helper Teacher Dude (AECSPHTD --look my first army acronym aren't you proud?) come to speak with us. So he asks how many graduated highs school, pretty much everyone raises their hand, then who has had some college (several hands go down), who has a degree (pretty much all but two hands go down- mine and a woman about 3 seats down). So the AECSPHTDude says to her, oh what did you get your degree in and what do you do now? She said, "I have a degree in Biochem from the University of Washington and I teach junior high math and science". He wanted to know if she had a masters, turned out not, and told she could get her credentials through the Army if she wanted. She pointed out it wold be hard to do a masters program with a hubby deployed, 2 small children and working full time. He was kind of pushy.

He turns to me,"What did you get your degree in?" "I doubled majored in computer science and biology and know I run a small business." I replied.

Then he said it:"It is interesting that you both got such techincal degrees and then didn't do anything with them." If looks could kill, he would be dead. Adam looked over at me and gave me the "Jenna be good" look so I smiled, looked down at my knitting, and took a deep breath and remembered we were there for Adam.

Several Thoughts about the comment that I couldn't say at the meeting, but I sure as hell can say here:
Who the hell do you think you are? What did you get your degree in and what is it you tell people you do at the ripe age of 50? I bet your Mother in Law loves to hear about your fantastic job.
Obviously, all of us milspouses married for the money and prestige.
Finally, what the fuck sort of amazing techy job are we supposed to get where we move every year or so? I am sure our employers will just think thats a great deal.
I was so pissed, but I let go, I just realized he has no idea what is coming out of his mouth.

Oh and by the way, the couple sitting in front of us was prego with kid numbero 5. I am so glad Adam and I don't have any kids yet, it is one thing for me to be sad during a deployment, but I think being a single Mom while he was away and trying to comfort the kids would be too much for me to handle. I know lots of people do it, but wow, not for me, at least not now.

2 comments:

said...

Wow girl. I'd be pissed too.

Glad to see you're learning more Army stuff... just to help you now that you're an Army wife and all..

:)

Unknown said...

my gosh i would have been so mad. of course, i don't have a degree so i wouldn't have been singled out. but that's a whole other lecture "why are you wasting your talent by not giving yourself the advantage of a degree" blah blah blah.

and hey, it's nice to know i'm not the only one who hasn't met other mil wives in person.

it's like-- i WANT to make friends who have things in common with me, but it seems like i'm trying too hard if i have to go to clubs and meetings. plus i get all self-conscious when i am a complete stranger and other people already have friends there, etc.

so yeah.

military sucks sometimes.