Sunday, July 29, 2007

Stolen Day

The reason that I haven't posted in over 2 weeks is because Adam has been here on mid- leave tour. Usually you don't get mid-leave tour so soon after being deployed, Adam was there since April and got mid-leave in July, thats pretty early.

Having Adam here was a blast, we went to Idaho for to see an amazing horseman Bryan Neubert. Then we hung out in Jackson Hole for a day. Then we kind of hung out and took it easy at the ranch until my family reunion started. Then everybody came. It is pretty fun to have all my cousins around.

Then yesterday Adam was slated to go back to the airport. Since we had to get up at 4 am to take him to the airport we just didn't sleep much. I woke up about every 20 minutes to see what time it was. My Dad said he would drive us to the tiny airport in Riverton, WY. It has about 2 flights a day. We walk into the main room and the lady at the counter says as well walk in, "The morning flight has been cancelled and the afternoon flight is now overbooked." Apparently the plane broke down and never left Denver.

So Adam starts making his gajillion calls to all the various Army people who arrange his flights. He is told to call the chain of command in Dallas whether to stand by for a flight that afternoon or take the same flight the next day. Well when he called Dallas he found out the flight to Kuwait had problems too, the people in Dallas said, "You are authorized to stay and extra day and take the flight tomorrow."

Adam and I were ecstatic. We did all the faxing required and had my Dad drive us back home to go bed. These "stolen days" are gifts from God. You are sooo grateful that all you had been dreading and worrying about melts away. We got up around 10:30 am and played all day. We went swimming and bought Coke and orange juice. Then we hung out and took a nap and watched a movie. We went to dinner and ate pizza( Adam's favorite)! Then we got my old horse and rode him around bareback and gave pony rides for kids.

This morning we reluctantly drug ourselves out of bed and started all over. This morning we got there and the plane was there. He got checked in and ready to go. I wasn't as upset today, because I had been really upset yesterday. It is amazing how much difference there is in one more day. They really are about the best things in the entire world.

So now we dig in for another 12 months. I think its easier this time because I know what to expect. He came home safe with stories and pictures. I just have to trust and have faith he will come home again.

No comments: